Monday, June 14, 2010

Yes, I do sleep in my van

Friday, June 11 - 2nd Street Bistro, Ashland, WI
Saturday, June 12 - Green Room, Sheboygan, WI

First off I forgot to take pics so I apologize for no photo's.

It was around 70deg as I left Minneapolis and as I reached Duluth it was 44deg.

This is good for folks like me who sleep in their van...yes I do sleep in my van, quite cozily I might add with my full sized blow up mattress.  My wife doesn't like me sleeping in the van, but it's cleaner than any motel I could afford, I tell her.

I have crazy dreams in the van...maybe it's because I'm usually exhausted.  Can't really recall what I dream but they are def. a different variety than at home.  Although now that I think about it I do liken them to the dreams I have the night I get back from a trip.  I'm usually exhausted than too...exhaustion must be a key to crazy dreams.

Anyway...

I've written before about the 2nd Street Bistro and the lack of patronage for this great bistro/venue.  I have a bit more insight now.  There is no advertisement of live music.  No events listed on their website, no emailing list, not even a facebook page.

I was told, "it's not the owners thing to mess with the computer."  My reply is whether it's your "thing" or not it better become your thing cause that's how word gets spread these days.

This isn't an old mom and pop eatery either, then I could understand. The owner is a younger guy so there is no excuse except laziness, which will result in "Out of Business".

It's truly sad because they have everything going for themselves in great food, great atmosphere and a great space for live music.  But when you fail to make adjustments, you fail. 

A local musician came in to check out the show, it's a 6-9 slot, and after about an hour and half he turned to the bartender and said "he doesn't take a break does he?"  Nope, I don't.  I came to play music and I play music...three hours straight.

I'm sure I'll play there again...I tell myself I won't, but I know better. 

The Green Room in Sheboygan was cool.  A bar.  Just a bar.  They've got some cool bands coming through and it was a good booking.  I played with my great friend Josh Harty from Madison so it was a treat to see him.  There was a good amount of people out and they really liked the music so all in all it was a good night.

I realized during my set that I close my eyes so tight my eyelids sweat.  It's odd.  Sounds even odder as I type it out. 

I don't close my eyes for any particular reason, I do it automatically as I begin to play hard.  I'm just burning...gotta get it out.   I'm singing as unto the Lord and the people get in on that experience...but my shortcoming is not engaging them in what I'm experiencing.

In fact, I'm guilty of the same thing the owner of the 2nd Street Bistro is, disconnection.  Neither of us is clueing others in on what's going on. 

It seems we both have adjustments to make.

No comments: