Monday, June 7, 2010

June 4

Listening Room
Fargo, ND

Show starts in ten minutes, we are in the kitchen area and the host/promoter Scott Curfman says,"I'm sorry, this has never happened."

Absolutely no one has arrived. Not one person. My expectation was safely around 60 people. This being a "house concert" style show they usually have a solid core of people that they count on in addition to the promotion in the paper/radio. Also I had two friends who were native Fargoians and spread the word so I was pretty confident going in.

But as we waited in the kitchen I began to ponder, did we drive 3 1/2 hrs for nothing? Did we climb the stairs of death, set up & sound check for nothing?

People offer excuses for why no one has arrived to make it seem like it's ok that no one has come...the weather is usually on the top of that list. I just nod my head at such statements, what else can you do?

See, I've been performing for 14yrs now and I've learned something; weather is never an issue, no excuse is ever the issue. If Bob Dylan was playing an outdoor show and it was pouring down rain, you'd bring an umbrella. If Willie Nelson didn't start til midnight and you had to work at 6am, you'd go to work tired.

The simple fact is, I was the issue, we were the issue. No one wants to admit that or come to terms with that. If no one is at the show, it's because they didn't want to see you...ouch!

I know this fact. I dealt with that fact 12yrs ago and it's not an issue with me anymore. I'll take a risk and drive just because I love to play music. I'll take off work and go play for 10 people, just because I love to play music.

This is what was going on in my head ten minutes before the show.

But, people came. 12 people to be exact. Most people would say, "12 people what a waste of time". But people aren't a waste of time. The only number that makes it a waste of time is 0, anything above that is worthwhile because 1 person makes it worthwhile...and we sold 17 CD's.

Before the show I talked with a friend and encouraged him to get away from the abuse that comes with playing the cities and head to the small towns where you'll play to appreciative people & owners who are excited about you being there. That it would refresh him in regard to performing. It would give him a new sense of direction and give him a new sense of passion for performing.

Those words came back to me that night. I love playing music, 12 people or 112 people...

I highly recommend the Listening Room .

1 comment:

Spider + Octopus said...

you're totally right. i think you said to me once, you play for the people at the show, not the people who didnt show up. glad things worked out.