Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Road to Henry Townsends Guitar

What a weekend...

I crossed Iowa 4 times in two days.

Day 1 - I left my house around 10:30p after my wife got home from her music ministry rehearsal and I drove to Mason City, IA, which would be my 1/2 point to Iowa City. Thankfully I left later cause it was the night that storms where blowing through and Albert Lea got hit by a tornado, which was in my driving path.

Day 2a - I was on Iowa Public Radio's Javablend Radio Show at 2p, it's a pre-recorded show recorded at the Java House in Iowa City. The air date is July 9/10 for those who can hear it.

This was my 3rd trip, 1st solo, and I did all the songs from the upcoming Tribute CD as it was in promotion of the release. People are really responding to this material and I'm getting more and more excited about releasing it.

1st major storm of the day blew overhead out of nowhere, it raced ahead of me to Iowa City leaving quite a bit of damage. Lucked out on missing that one too.

Day 2b - I hoped in the car at 3:30 and had a 3hr drive to Garner, IA for Bash on the Farm.

I originally had a date booked closer for that night cause I was playing in St. Louis the next day but Bash on the Farm only comes 1x a yr and it's worth the drive for me.

1 passed through 2 more awesome storms. 1 with a wall cloud that covered the entire horizon and the other that formed just behind it. I only got the rain part but the emergency vehicles were out watching and waiting.

I made it to the farm on time and it turned out to be a beautiful night. Had a great set and than drove back down to Iowa City...yes back down...that's 3 times across IA for those keeping score.

Day 3 to be continued...

No comments: