Monday, April 5, 2010

Where the Folkheads at?

Friday, April 2
Second Street Bistro, Ashland, Wisconsin

This was my third show (I use the term loosely) at the 2nd Street Bistro. We played there twice as a band and it didn’t make sense to come back as a group since they are lacking in 2 key areas: money and audience.  I would say collectively I’ve played to about 30 people combining the 3 visits.

It’s odd, it’s a great room, good food, real nice staff and the owner is a super nice guy also. They have music on Wed/Fri nights so it’s a regular affair. Apparently if you’re a local artist it’s a packed house, but if you’re an out-of-towner, it’s a crapshoot…nothing new.

I really, really like this venue and even more so the town, which sits straight east of Duluth. The scenery is amazing with National forests on all sides. Northland College is also in the town, but the bistro doesn’t seem to be an attraction for them.

They have a folk festival in the summer, which leaves me wondering where all the folkheads are at…might be a tourist event rather than supported by the locals.

I drove all over the town thinking, “There’s got to be an angle on this town”. My mind drifted from the attempt to crack the Ashland code as I gazed on a most miserable looking Easter bunny sitting on a bench with kids clamoring all around on an extremely windy and cold afternoon. I’m sure he would have happily traded the attendance of my previous nights performance to the one he was now enjoying.

I will be back at the Bistro on Friday, June 11.
2ndstreetbistro.com

No comments: