Monday, July 26, 2010

Webers Deck

3177 Cty Rd 3 NW
Annandale, MN .

Put some bands on the deck, invite people to come out on a Sunday afternoon, bring the kids, the lawn chairs, the coolers and listen to some music. After leaving I had a chance to think a bit more about what Webers Deck is about, or at least what I liked so much about it after my initial thought forementioned.

It seems that most people will only venture out to see their favorite bands, or their friends band, etc., gone it seems are the days when people just go to a spot they like regardless of who's playing. Obviously there are still a few spots like that left but a lot of music venues have become destination venues, i.e. the place is empty unless you bring the people.

This is what struck me about Webers Deck. I think people would come out and sit on their lawn chairs with their coolers even if there was no music. The music is the draw but no one band in particular, at least on this occasion. Who's playing? Who cares! Let’s get together and have a nice day. I like that.

I got to talking with a guy and he said he was just driving by, saw the cars/motorcycles and heard some music so he pulled in to see what was going on. That's Webers Deck.

Lastly I'll say the other thing I liked from a band perspective is that it's hard to be competitive or have an ego when your sitting on a deck playing some tunes. You get into some clubs and the bands are all "we've done this and we've done that"...sizing you up. I laugh at that because I used to be like and it's silly.

I realized a long time ago that no matter how big the show is, I still have to go home and mow the lawn and take the garbage out...which I did after our set at Webers Deck. But none of the performers were like that at Webers and I think the atmosphere has everything to do with that.

1 comment:

Weber said...

Tom- I think you hit it no the head about folks mostly going out to see bands that they know, or have heard of often. Weber's Deck has become a place to "discover" bands, and musicians that folks don't often have the opportunity to see. I rarely hear from people "Hey, Weber- who do you have on the deck this week?". One simple reason: each week will be a wonderful performer, that you are almost guaranteed to like, whether or not you have heard of them, or heard their music prior to that particular day. It seems that people have "trust" in knowing it will be good regardless.

I recieved an e-mail today, asking me how one of the fans can find your music. I directed him to your webpage, as well as your Myspace page. I also told them to keep an eye on your schedule, and head out to see you play somewhere, even if it isn't at Weber's Deck. Much of the goal out here is to get folks acquainted with folks like you, so that they are comfortable knowing that no matter where you are playing, they can be confident that they will have a great time, and hear wonderful music. I truly believe, and have seen proof that this has worked over the 12 weeks that I have had shows. I hope that in the future it can only get better and better.

Thanks for coming out on Sunday Tom. Thanks to your band as well. I KNOW for a fact that you have almost 200 more fans now. I hope to see you out in the future.

Remember....you still have the September 5th gig out here ;-)