Thursday, May 13, 2010

Mixing: Day 2

When: Wednesday, May 12
Where: Underwood Studio's, Minneapolis, Mn

Live So God Can Use You – Muddy Waters
I Know the Lord Will Make a Way – Miss. Fred McDowell

We got 2 songs done, which doesn’t sound like much. But if you figure it took us 6hrs to do 4 solo songs than 2 band songs in 6hrs is about right…being that there’s 3x the work.

And it is work. It’s actually exhausting. Your trying to put a puzzle together; you’ve got all the parts, now how do they fit to make the picture? You can force the song to come together or you can spend the time to find out how the song wants to be mixed.

Yup, the song determines how it wants to be mixed/heard. The song wears the pants. It’s the boss. After 14yrs of recording this is a new revelation.

I remember it drove my wife crazy when, in the first few years of marraige, she'd ask me to do something and I reply, “Don’t tell me what to do.” Not in an angry way but in a, “I know it needs to get done and it will get done eventually” sort of way. And I can hear the songs echoing that phrase back to me...I’m sure my wife is smiling, revenge!

I can safely say necks are gonna get sore listening to this disc cause we got some great heading bobbing tunes on here. Some great grooves for sure.

Day 3 - 5/13.

Stay tuned…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

great observations